Warm Spinach Salad with Fried Over-Hard Egg
That’s right. I don’t like runny eggs. It’s a texture thing. Warm Spinach Salad with Fried Over-Hard Egg can be made for breakfast, lunch, or simply when you don’t have a lot of time but want something healthy. The benefits of eating spinach are endless, and these leafy greens are particularly delicious during late spring and early summer.
- 1 slice of bread cut into 1 inch cubes
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- Salt & pepper
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 4 slices of bacon cooked and roughly chopped
- Optional: edible flowers for serving
- Make croutons: turn oven onto broil. Spread torn bread pieces onto a sheet pan and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Toast in the oven for 5 minutes, tossing halfway through, until golden on all sides. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Fry the egg: in a small nonstick over medium heat, melt butter. Crack egg into pan. Cook for 3 minutes, or until the white is set. Flip and cook 4-5 minutes more, until yolk is completely set. Remove from pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Using the same frying pan over medium-high heat add 2 tablespoons of good quality olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper. Allow the oil to warm for 30 seconds. Add spinach and croutons into the pan and toss to coat, allowing the spinach to warm up and become coated, for about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Place the warm spinach and croutons into a serving bowl. Add the fried egg and bacon over top.
- Optional: add extra seasoning of pepper, Italian herb seasoning, and/or edible flowers.
- Serve immediately, all ingredients should be warm for maximum flavor.