Tangy Autumn Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 2 butternut squash peeled and diced into cubes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 blood oranges juiced
- 2 naval oranges juiced
- salt and pepper
- crème fraîche
- fried sage leaves*
- hazelnuts chopped
- Add oil into a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots and sauté for 2 minutes allowing onions to become tender.
- Stir in the squash and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until the squash begins to soften.
- Add the chicken stock and cook for about 40 minutes, or until the squash is tender and the stock has reduced by one-fourth.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the orange juices and zest.
- Working in batches, puree the squash mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Serve soup topped with a dollop of crème fraîche, fried sage and hazelnut pieces.
*To make fried sage:
- Fill a small pan with 1/2 inch of olive oil. Warm the oil on medium-high heat. Place sage leaves into hot oil for 40-60 seconds. Remove fried sage and place on a paper towel to dry. Sprinkle with a dash of salt.