Tangy Autumn Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 2 butternut squash peeled and diced into cubes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 naval oranges juiced
- salt and pepper
- crème fraîche
- fried sage leaves*
- hazelnuts chopped
- Add oil into a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots and sauté for 2 minutes, allowing onions to become tender.
- Add squash and season generously with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, to soften and slightly brown the squash pieces.
- Add the chicken stock and cook for about 30 minutes until the squash is tender and the stock has reduced by one-fourth.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the orange juice.
- Working in batches, purée the squash mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Add puréed soup back into the soup pot. Add salt to pepper to your liking.
- Serve soup topped with a dollop of crème fraîche, fried sage and chopped hazelnut.
*To make fried sage:
- Fill a small pan with 1/2 inch of olive oil. Warm the oil on medium-high heat. Place sage leaves into hot oil for 40-60 seconds. Remove fried sage and place on a paper towel to dry. Sprinkle with a dash of salt.