I just love the creaminess risotto rice, it’s like a savory pudding! And there are endless flavor variations to use, it’s just the best side dish ever.
Some people might find risotto to be a bit intimidating to make, but I’ve made it simple. Easy, Elegant Shrimp Risotto has only five steps! Anyone can do a 5 step recipe.
The elegance factor comes from the tender delicious shrimp. The light flavors of fennel and lemon zest tie the risotto and shrimp together. And the Parmesan mixed in at the end brings it all home.
Easy, Elegant Shrimp Risotto
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- ½ bulb of fennel, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¾ cup white wine
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 lb. shrimp, defrosted if frozen, should be peeled, deveined and tails removed
- Salt and pepper
- Dried parsley seasoning
- In a medium or large Dutch oven over high heat, melt butter. Add onion, fennel and bay leaf, season with salt and pepper, and cook down for 8 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in garlic, wine and rice, stirring constantly, until liquid is fully absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- Stir stock into the rice mixture. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and allow the liquid to absorb until the rice is al dente, about 18 minutes. Stir the rice occasionally during the simmering.
- Turn off the heat. Stir in cream, parmesan and lemon zest. Fold in the shrimp. Cover pot and let stand for 5 minutes to allow the shrimp to gently cook.
- Serve topped with dried parsley. Add extra parm or a drizzle of extra cream over top.